================================================================================

Flight Test Log 10

================================================================================

Summary
-------

The third camera flight test resulted in successful recording of downloaded
video. Stereo pairs were derived from the video.

The flight also verified recent airframe repairs and modifications. The wing
in particular was noticeably stiffer as a result of new carbon spar caps.

================================================================================

   Test_ID:  39
      Date:  2005/12/23 (Fri)
      Time:  17:11
      Wind:  Light
   Vehicle:  SVC
     Scale:  41 %
      Mass:  353 g
  Location:  PCC-West

The airplane was under manual control. Video was recorded from a small
on-board wireless camera.

The total flight time was 715 s (11.9 min). A postflight discharge test on
12/29 measured 361 mAh of charge remaining, which is 40 % of rated capacity of
900 mAh. The tested discharge current was 1.6 A.

The 40 % charge remaining implies we used 60 % for the flight, and the
projected maximum endurance was 1190 s (19.8 min).

This was the first flight after modifications and repairs from a previous
crash. Modifications consisted of unidirectional carbon spar caps that were
added to the wing in order to form a sandwich structure with a foam core. Wing
flexing, which had been visible in previous flights, was not noticeable on
this flight. Note that spar caps had already been added to the 55 % and 100 %
scale SVCs.

Shown below are stereo pairs that were manually extracted from the downloaded
video. Note that right/left images are reversed -- that is, the image for the
left eye is on the right, and vice versa.

Stereo was derived from one camera rather than two. The side-looking camera was
used to generate stereo pairs by pairing frames recorded at different times.
The baseline (that is, distance between viewpoints) is determined mainly by the
product of velocity and time difference between frames.

Although we are not measuring velocity at present, the plan is to use doppler
velocity derived from GPS data.


STEREO PAIRS











================================================================================ Last updated 2006/1/21 FLM