|Schedule||Self-Quizzes||Natural History Event||Species List|
QUIZ: GEOLOGICAL CONCEPTS & STRUCTURES
Sources: PowerPoints 04b and 04c, Web 1, Web 2, Web 3, Web 4
1. Uniformitarianism: processes acting today acted in past.
Original Horizontality: sediments are usually deposited in horizontal layers
Superposition: older layers lie below younger layers
Lateral Continuity: rock layers usually are deposited over wide area.
Law of Cross-cutting Relationships: intruding rock is younger than the rocks intruded.
2. Uniformitarianism: helps us interpret features that were produced long
Original Horizontality: finding folds and tilted rock
Superposition: determining relative age of rock layers
Lateral Continuity: finding faults and erosional features.
Law of Cross-cutting Relationships: determining relative age of intrusions compared to surrounding rock layers
3. Tension, compression, shear (lateral)
4. Normal (tension), Reverse (compression), Strike-Slip (shear/lateral)
5. Anticline (compression), Syncline (compression)
6. see PowerPoint: 04c_Concepts_FaultsFolds