|Schedule||Self-Quizzes||Natural History Event||Species List|
QUIZ: DESERT ADAPTATION
Sources: PowerPoint 02d
1. Why is it bad to get too hot or cold?
2. What is Van't Hoff's Rule? How is it important?
3. What are the 5 ways plants and animals gain and lose heat?
4. Differentiate between Ectotherms and Endotherms.
5. How does behavioral thermoregulation work?
6. How does physiological thermoregulation work?
7. What are the advantages and disadvantages of ectothermy and endothermy?
8. What affects rate of heat gain and loss?
9. Which has greater surface area to volume ratio
a mouse or a coyote?
What difference does this make to the animals?
10. Define torpor.
11. What are the four types of torpor?
12. What are the 5 adaptive values of torpor?
13. What are the three major desert adaptation strategies?
14. Give the outline for enduring desert conditions, and at least one example
for each category.
15. Give the outline for evading desert conditions, and at least one example
16. What is the benefit of eliminating uric acid instead of urea and which animals do this?