|Schedule||Self-Quizzes||Natural History Event||Species List|
QUIZ: VENOMOUS ANIMALS
Sources: PowerPoint 01b, Web
1. What can you do to avoid being bitten by a venomous animal?
2. What is the difference between venomous species and poisonous species?
3. What are the dangerously venomous (potentially fatal) animal species we have in the southwest?
4. What are the two main types of toxins used in venom, what do they affect, and what are their symptoms?
5. What are 3 functions of venom?
6. What are the disadvantages of being venomous?
7. So how is venom, being so valuable and expensive, conserved?
8. Define cryptic versus aposematic coloration.
9. What are Batesian mimics?
10. Define nocturnal, diurnal, and crepuscular.
11. Which scorpion species is dangerously venomous and how do you identify it?
12. Which spider species are dangerously venomous and how do you identify them?
13. How many known venomous species of lizards occur? Name them.
14. When are gila monsters active?
15. How are coral snakes identified?
16. What can you tell about a rattlesnake by counting the segments on its rattle?
17. How many eggs do rattlesnakes lay?
18. Name and describe the major sense organs of rattlesnakes.